• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Returner's Magic Should Be Special (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, help me here Edjwald, is the shopping mall trip in the manga or is it an anime original bit? It feels to me like this week's episode had some original content in it (good content), but I have trouble recalling it being in the manga or not.

Otherwise we enter the last arc of the season, the magic tower battle. No games this time, it is actual deadly combat.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember the mall scenes either...I think they were supposed to be a kind of suture to stich up the gaping hole where several other scenes were cut out.

Cos I do remember several other scenes regarding drama between Ajest and Romantica (one in a cafeteria in particular), between Ajest and Desir, scenes with the Piggish Snob Professor (in fact, the reason Desir's group missed the deadlines for the magical tower in this episode was because he "lost" their application forms), scenes where Desir did more to help the other Betas, and a scene between Ajest and the Piggish professor that I particularly missed ...

But maybe I shouldn't go into detail because maybe they're just shifting the scenes around instead of cutting them entirely.

All that said, I liked the mall scenes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, they added a bit and cut a bit, I think it worked out well for the episode as a whole, especially if you consider trying to set up a good point to end up on. Speaking of, seems like the final two episodes are indeed going to be focused on the tower incident and the fallout of that. Episode 11 was an action packed meeting with the outers. Some of the combat looked a tad wonky though.

Unless the last episode does something wild the anime is a solid introduction to the series, I am glad they have not tried to rush things.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I've enjoyed the series thus far, and I'm glad they made it, and I hope there's a season 2. I could have wished for better, but I also know that it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

If I was disappointed by anything, it's that I've been waiting for the outers to appear because they had a truly scary, unpredictable, grotesque, carnivalesque vibe in the novel. The anime didn't do a bad job here, but the anime and the novel aren't on the same level.

If I was relieved by anything, it's that they maintained the developing bonds between the party members with the proper level of respect, even if the anime did have more of a Desir harem emphasis than the novel. I feel like the people who made this anime really enjoyed the novel and did the best they could with the production values and schedule they had to work with, and they certainly didn't disgrace anything. Just succeeding in making me like the anime is an accomplishment.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Yup, that was the scene between Ajhest and the snobbish school master that I remembered.

This finale seemed pretty strong to me, with an ending that seemed a bit reminiscent of an old Star Trek episode. Y'know, everybody waiting to be transported to a strange new world with urgent music in the background. It was kind of what I thought the last episode of the Rising of the Shield Hero was going to be like.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, funny you should say all that Edjwald.

First, we have confirmation of a second season, so yay for that.

As for the outers not being scary or grotesque enough....the newly added fight with the transformed dude gave you a bit more of that. I liked that they made the fight a bit more meaty, yet they could have used that time better given the rest of the episode. It is clear that season 2 will start with the first shadow world and the final episode had to rush/skip through quite a bit in order to get that properly set up. I would have rather seen the added time to the fight been used to skip less since some of it is good stuff, oh well.

The season was a solid to good adaption. Besides the final episode there was no rushing, they properly took the time needed to build up the characters and have them slowly grow stronger. The fights were good enough quality wise.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:32 am Reply with quote
Man, gotta wait until whenever to find out who won the chess game. I'm sure Desir did, since otherwise we'd never learn what his wish was. I'm on tenterhooks, I tells ya!

The scene with snobby noble was pretty satisfying. The series got off to a rocky start with me, but I guess I'm up for another season, if they don't wait too long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3