• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira Konno's Kujima Utaeba Ie Hororo Comedy Manga Gets Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:11 pm Reply with quote
It ended? Only up until the first chapter of volume 3 got translated, but I don't recall it seeming like it would end. Hopefully it didn't get axed. Though I guess this means they might do a complete adaptation.

For those wondering, it's a good slice of life comedy about a middle schooler who meets a walking, talking bird-like thing from Russia. The two end up learning from each other and the bird helps Arata with his personal issues.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:13 pm Reply with quote
InNeedOfAName wrote:
It ended? Only up until the first chapter of volume 3 got translated, but I don't recall it seeming like it would end. Hopefully it didn't get axed. Though I guess this means they might do a complete adaptation.

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that this "axe system" doesn't apply outside of the weekly Shonen Jump, or at least I've always assumed that in magazines like Sunday or Magazine and their spin offs the series only last as long as the authors have planned them to last. Maybe I'm just outdated, but I don't think the system applies to monthly series. Most series published in the Gessan tend to last about two or three years serialized.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it could be a cute and comfy series.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:29 am Reply with quote
ZetMoon80 wrote:
InNeedOfAName wrote:

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that this "axe system" doesn't apply outside of the weekly Shonen Jump, or at least I've always assumed that in magazines like Sunday or Magazine and their spin offs the series only last as long as the authors have planned them to last. Maybe I'm just outdated, but I don't think the system applies to monthly series. Most series published in the Gessan tend to last about two or three years serialized.

I think other magazines do cancel their series sometimes but they don't do it as often as WSJ is known for.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:31 am Reply with quote
ZetMoon80 wrote:
InNeedOfAName wrote:

Maybe because Weekly Shōnen Jump is a well-known and popular manga magazine, therefore Jump-related stuff (including axing) often becomes hot topics, and casual fans of manga are not necessarily familiar with historical aspects of manga, they may tend to think that so-called uchikiri of a manga (the editorial staff's stopping the serialisation of a manga, especially because of a manga's being not popular enough) is a thing which happens only in Weekly Shōnen Jump, but actually uchikiri is a thing which you can see also in other magazines, and uchikiri is not necessarily a thing which is done only in recent-ish years.
For example, The Forty Thousand-year Drifting was the first manga by Fujiko Fujio (under the pen name 'Ashizuka Fujio'. 'Ashizuka' was wordplay on the 'Tezuka' part of the famous mangaka's name 'Tezuka Osamu') which was serialised in a magazine. The magazine was Shōnen Shōjo Bōken-ō (pub. by Akita Shoten). Only six instalments of The Forty Thousand-year Drifting were carried in the Shōnen Shōjo Bōken-ō magazine, and Bōken-ō's editorial staff did uchikiri of The Forty Thousand-year Drifting in 1953, because it was not popular enough.
In a book on Fujiko Fujio which was written by Yonezawa Yoshihiro, who was a manga critic and the president of the Comic Market Preparatory Committee, Yonezawa has said that The Forty Thousand-year Drifting was too 'highbrow' and could not gain popularity due to it.
In one of his autobiographical manga, Fujiko Fujio A also wrote and illustrated the 'uchikiri of The Forty Thousand-year Drifting' incident.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:05 am Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:
ZetMoon80 wrote:
InNeedOfAName wrote:

Maybe because Weekly Shōnen Jump is a well-known and popular manga magazine, therefore Jump-related stuff (including axing) often becomes hot topics, and casual fans of manga are not necessarily familiar with historical aspects of manga, they may tend to think that so-called uchikiri of a manga (the editorial staff's stopping the serialisation of a manga, especially because of a manga's being not popular enough) is a thing which happens only in Weekly Shōnen Jump, but actually uchikiri is a thing which you can see also in other magazines, and uchikiri is not necessarily a thing which is done only in recent-ish years.
For example, The Forty Thousand-year Drifting was the first manga by Fujiko Fujio (under the pen name 'Ashizuka Fujio'. 'Ashizuka' was wordplay on the 'Tezuka' part of the famous mangaka's name 'Tezuka Osamu') which was serialised in a magazine. The magazine was Shōnen Shōjo Bōken-ō (pub. by Akita Shoten). Only six instalments of The Forty Thousand-year Drifting were carried in the Shōnen Shōjo Bōken-ō magazine, and Bōken-ō's editorial staff did uchikiri of The Forty Thousand-year Drifting in 1953, because it was not popular enough.
In a book on Fujiko Fujio which was written by Yonezawa Yoshihiro, who was a manga critic and the president of the Comic Market Preparatory Committee, Yonezawa has said that The Forty Thousand-year Drifting was too 'highbrow' and could not gain popularity due to it.
In one of his autobiographical manga, Fujiko Fujio A also wrote and illustrated the 'uchikiri of The Forty Thousand-year Drifting' incident.

Woah, thanks, I didn't even have a clue about the term uchikiri lol. Anyway, I know about Jump's weekly ranking which, from what I understand, is one of the metrics that the publisher uses to determine the popularity of their works, but simply because I don't know what other kinds of systems the other magazines use to measure the performance of their works (other than sales of course) I thought that cancellations were less frequent than in Jump.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1