• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence Film Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:49 am Reply with quote
DanMatcha wrote:
MF65 wrote:
For future reference, here's Yuri!!! on ICE's production committee, in order:
Avex Pictures
TV Asahi
Dentsu Inc.
CIC
cygames
TV Asahi Music
Movic
MAPPA

But, by all means, do keep blaming the guys at the end of the food chain for the cancellation. Avex and the others appreciate your support Laughing
Where did you get this information? Neither the opening nor the ending credits show the members of the production committee. I’m not trying to doubt you, but asking out of interest.
They most likely got it by looking up the producers. When the production committee is hidden by a name, you have to look up each individual producer to see what company they're representing, and the order they're credited shows who put the most money in and who put the least.

To give an example of this kind of detective work, look at the encyclopedia page for The Wallflower, and you'll see...
Quote:
Producer:
Jun Togawa
Shinsaku Hatta
Takashi Watanabe

Production:
Nippon Animation
Pony Canyon
TV Tokyo
In the source field for the companies, a user added:
Quote:
Shinsaku HATTA is a Producer for TV Tokyo, and Jun Togawa is a producer for Nippon Animation.
For Pony Canyon, the source is just "producer credits.".

Note: ANN displays credits in alphabetical order, so this does not show the order in the credits.

To give another example, this Japanese blog post tries to figure out the production committee for Rising of the Shield Hero.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230602084723/https://www.aobayuki.com/entry/anime/shieldhero-iinkai

They did a bunch of these.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230602085803/https://www.aobayuki.com/archive/category/オタクコンテンツ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
@ranran-001 and others - enough with the Russian politics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
I’ve heard several second-hand & unconfirmed rumblings about the project for years from the sakuga community, but no real receipts exist, so maybe take what I’m saying as a hypothetical situation, rather as anything concrete.

First up, there has been low-level buzz for years now that Sayo Yamamoto isn’t perhaps the easiest person to work under. She’s clearly driven and ambitious, certainly overly so given the limitations of the projects she’s worked on, and it’s led to the occasional off-hand comment to slip out going all the way back to Mitchiko & Hatchin.

It’s also true that Yuri on Ice tv struggled to maintain a consistent quality throughout its run, particularly in the performances. So when the movie was announced there were all sorts of talk about rotoscoping real routines and using bold new techniques that looked intent to eclipse even her work on the Japan Animator Expo prototype short, ENDLESS NIGHT. In some way she reminds me of a Tetsuya Nomura type figure; someone clearly talented, but with the tendency to constantly expand parameters & shift goalposts to the point it risks stalling or even stopping a project dead in its tracks.

And then there’s MAPPA under CEO Manabu Otsuka. I think most people are already fully aware of what the company has become under this tenure, from appallingly short timescales (eg the Jujutsu Kaisen movie four month production window), to staff vocally protesting working conditions (the Ema Yasuhara hanging incident).

It’s important to remember that MAPPA was originally formed because Masao Maruyama believed in director Sunao Katabuchi’s passion project to make his adaptation of In This Corner of the World a reality, despite neither having the funds to get the project off the ground. It took years of generating publicity, both domestic & internationally, finding sponsors and resorting to several crowd-funding initiatives to slowly finish the film, in which time Katabuchi often lived in such poverty that he couldn’t afford to eat.

Fortunately when it was released, it was a huge commercial & critical success, truly putting the studio on the map.

13 years later, Otsuka’s chief view of the film is that it didn’t make them enough money.

The man’s a true corporate ghoul in every sense of the world, & the embodiment of how all the worst traits of the anime industry have only gotten worse with its meteoric rise on the international stage. He wants the studio to be as well regarded as Kyoto Animation, seeming unaware or uncaring that it was that studio careful cultivation of life-work balance that generated such good will around the world.

So ultimately what appears to have happened was an on-going clash, leading to a stalemate, between a director constantly demanding more resources, & a boardroom only interested in giving out the minimum allowances for the maximum yield, with the staff suffering from both sides. Perhaps Yamamoto figured the endearing popularity of YoI would lead them to acquiescing to her demands in the end, but MAPPA are now clearly only interested in getting the hottest new properties to build their even impressive portfolio (at the expense of promising new talent), and eight years was long enough to bicker over before finally pulling the plug.

I was always generally indifferent to Yuri on Ice, appreciating what it represented, but thinking it was also too compromised of a story to properly work as a one-cour show, so I’m honestly torn between being frustrated that all this came to nothing, and having relief that it allows Yamamoto to finally work on some exciting new properties. In the meantime, I’d strongly recommend going back & checking out her earlier works if you haven’t done so already, with The Woman Called Fujiko Mine & particularly Mitchiko & Hatchin being stellar shows.
DanMatcha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:44 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
DanMatcha wrote:
MF65 wrote:
For future reference, here's Yuri!!! on ICE's production committee, in order:
Avex Pictures
TV Asahi
Dentsu Inc.
CIC
cygames
TV Asahi Music
Movic
MAPPA

But, by all means, do keep blaming the guys at the end of the food chain for the cancellation. Avex and the others appreciate your support Laughing
Where did you get this information? Neither the opening nor the ending credits show the members of the production committee. I’m not trying to doubt you, but asking out of interest.
They most likely got it by looking up the producers. When the production committee is hidden by a name, you have to look up each individual producer to see what company they're representing, and the order they're credited shows who put the most money in and who put the least.

To give an example of this kind of detective work, look at the encyclopedia page for The Wallflower, and you'll see...
Quote:
Producer:
Jun Togawa
Shinsaku Hatta
Takashi Watanabe

Production:
Nippon Animation
Pony Canyon
TV Tokyo
In the source field for the companies, a user added:
Quote:
Shinsaku HATTA is a Producer for TV Tokyo, and Jun Togawa is a producer for Nippon Animation.
For Pony Canyon, the source is just "producer credits.".

Note: ANN displays credits in alphabetical order, so this does not show the order in the credits.

To give another example, this Japanese blog post tries to figure out the production committee for Rising of the Shield Hero.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230602084723/https://www.aobayuki.com/entry/anime/shieldhero-iinkai

They did a bunch of these.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230602085803/https://www.aobayuki.com/archive/category/オタクコンテンツ

So, the order the producers are credited in lines up with the order of the companies in the production committee? Thank you very much for the helpful response. Thanks to the helpful information and links you posted, I was able to learn more about how anime production committees work. Also, what’s the reason why some anime hide the members of the production committee, but others don’t?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
Nooooo I was looking forward to this!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I knew it, 7 years is too big a gap. The delays on stuff like Gundam SEED Freedom make perfect sense but no easy explanation exists here. This IP clearly doesn´t fit into MAPPA´s catalogue anymore due to a full-scale studio transformation and they can go for easy (male audience) IP money elsewhere.
The IP has to belong to them so the projects can´t be pitched to another studio and they aren´t willing to sell it either. It would make them look like fools if the film prints money elsewhere. See Coyote vs. Acme. The other explanation is that key personnel consists of unemployable psychos but that is far less likely. Will we even find out? Maybe but not anytime soon.

Where is Uru in Blue? Is Uru in Blue Safe?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:24 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I knew it, 7 years is too big a gap. The delays on stuff like Gundam SEED Freedom make perfect sense but no easy explanation exists here. This IP clearly doesn´t fit into MAPPA´s catalogue anymore due to a full-scale studio transformation and they can go for easy (male audience) IP money elsewhere.
The IP has to belong to them so the projects can´t be pitched to another studio and they aren´t willing to sell it either. It would make them look like fools if the film prints money elsewhere. See Coyote vs. Acme. The other explanation is that key personnel consists of unemployable psychos but that is far less likely. Will we even find out? Maybe but not anytime soon.

Where is Uru in Blue? Is Uru in Blue Safe?

I would like to say, as an undying Land of the Lustrous fan, I refuse to accept that 7 years is too long to wait for any continuation, so long as the original project remains popular. I'm clinging on to that hope with both hands.
Picky33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Dang, now I will need to find a new Joke about a Promised Film that keeps getting delayed forever
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
Dang, now I will need to find a new Joke about a Promised Film that keeps getting delayed forever

Easy, just use Uru in Blue lol
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:31 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I’ve heard several second-hand & unconfirmed rumblings about the project for years from the sakuga community, but no real receipts exist, so maybe take what I’m saying as a hypothetical situation, rather as anything concrete.

First up, there has been low-level buzz for years now that Sayo Yamamoto isn’t perhaps the easiest person to work under. She’s clearly driven and ambitious, certainly overly so given the limitations of the projects she’s worked on, and it’s led to the occasional off-hand comment to slip out going all the way back to Mitchiko & Hatchin.

It’s also true that Yuri on Ice tv struggled to maintain a consistent quality throughout its run, particularly in the performances. So when the movie was announced there were all sorts of talk about rotoscoping real routines and using bold new techniques that looked intent to eclipse even her work on the Japan Animator Expo prototype short, ENDLESS NIGHT. In some way she reminds me of a Tetsuya Nomura type figure; someone clearly talented, but with the tendency to constantly expand parameters & shift goalposts to the point it risks stalling or even stopping a project dead in its tracks.

And then there’s MAPPA under CEO Manabu Otsuka. I think most people are already fully aware of what the company has become under this tenure, from appallingly short timescales (eg the Jujutsu Kaisen movie four month production window), to staff vocally protesting working conditions (the Ema Yasuhara hanging incident).

It’s important to remember that MAPPA was originally formed because Masao Maruyama believed in director Sunao Katabuchi’s passion project to make his adaptation of In This Corner of the World a reality, despite neither having the funds to get the project off the ground. It took years of generating publicity, both domestic & internationally, finding sponsors and resorting to several crowd-funding initiatives to slowly finish the film, in which time Katabuchi often lived in such poverty that he couldn’t afford to eat.

Fortunately when it was released, it was a huge commercial & critical success, truly putting the studio on the map.

13 years later, Otsuka’s chief view of the film is that it didn’t make them enough money.

The man’s a true corporate ghoul in every sense of the world, & the embodiment of how all the worst traits of the anime industry have only gotten worse with its meteoric rise on the international stage. He wants the studio to be as well regarded as Kyoto Animation, seeming unaware or uncaring that it was that studio careful cultivation of life-work balance that generated such good will around the world.

So ultimately what appears to have happened was an on-going clash, leading to a stalemate, between a director constantly demanding more resources, & a boardroom only interested in giving out the minimum allowances for the maximum yield, with the staff suffering from both sides. Perhaps Yamamoto figured the endearing popularity of YoI would lead them to acquiescing to her demands in the end, but MAPPA are now clearly only interested in getting the hottest new properties to build their even impressive portfolio (at the expense of promising new talent), and eight years was long enough to bicker over before finally pulling the plug.

I was always generally indifferent to Yuri on Ice, appreciating what it represented, but thinking it was also too compromised of a story to properly work as a one-cour show, so I’m honestly torn between being frustrated that all this came to nothing, and having relief that it allows Yamamoto to finally work on some exciting new properties. In the meantime, I’d strongly recommend going back & checking out her earlier works if you haven’t done so already, with The Woman Called Fujiko Mine & particularly Mitchiko & Hatchin being stellar shows.

>He wants the studio to be as well regarded as Kyoto Animation

it's very funny because he won't be even as Kyoto was and it's very far from a dream his studio will be like that lmao.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:

>He wants the studio to be as well regarded as Kyoto Animation

it's very funny because he won't be even as Kyoto was and it's very far from a dream his studio will be like that lmao.

He definitely won't reach his "dream" anytime soon as long as he keeps mistreating the animators that work under him...
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:20 am Reply with quote
DanMatcha wrote:
So, the order the producers are credited in lines up with the order of the companies in the production committee? Thank you very much for the helpful response. Thanks to the helpful information and links you posted, I was able to learn more about how anime production committees work. Also, what’s the reason why some anime hide the members of the production committee, but others don’t?
Correct, you can see this even for stuff where the production committee members were credited and not hidden by a name, like with Kino's Journey.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHiu8btWwAAh6iE?format=jpg&name=orig
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHiu974WsAAeFz9?format=jpg&name=orig

As for why some hide behind a name and others don't, I wish I knew. You would think companies would want people to know what they're funding, especially as anime is often a glorified informercial to sell products made by the companies funding it.

Something else to note, sometimes you'll see a company credited outside the production committee. This often happens with stuff TBS is attached to. To try and give some random examples...

Love, Election and Chocolate: Koi Choco Production Committee (Aniplex, ASCII Media Works, Lantis, Lightway, AIC, Movic, BS-TBS), TBS
Source

The iDOLM@STER: PROJECT iM@S (Bandai Namco Games, Aniplex, Nippon Columbia), TBS
[url=https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/THE_IDOLM@STER_(%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%A1)#%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%83%E3%83%95]Source[/url]

For more on production committees, these may be of interest.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/05/02/what-is-an-animes-production-committee/
https://web.archive.org/web/20200313015900/https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/03/12/what-does-it-mean-to-be-on-an-anime-production-committee-fruits-basket-fire-force/
https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/833055036108374020
funkfoot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:41 am Reply with quote
Even when we have the CEO of the company come out and be pretty upfront on the show not making them much money, people still can't help but theorize a greater conspiracy being at work. Seems like one of the few times we actually get a pretty candid reason.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:51 am Reply with quote
Mappa prolly doesnt want to animate 2 dudes kissing
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The IP has to belong to them so the projects can´t be pitched to another studio and they aren´t willing to sell it either. It would make them look like fools if the film prints money elsewhere.

They already look like fools. It's not a matter of "if", it is a matter of "how much".

I think other members of the Production Committee made a much larger slice of the revenue than MAPPA thus not interested in bumping up MAPPA's slice for future revenue. PC could try to sell the IP to another studio but MAPPA is not interested in letting a hot IP go when they know it will make money. They want a bigger slice. Therefore a stalemate formed and production could not move forward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5