• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dr. Stone (TV + special).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Season 1: Dr. Stone (TV)
Season 2: Dr. Stone: Stone Wars (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Special: Dr. Stone: Ryuusui (special)
Season 3 (1st half): Dr. Stone: New World (TV 3)
Season 3 (2nd half): Dr. Stone: New World (TV 4)

Source: Manga (completed @ 26 Volumes, written by Riichiro Inagaki, iIllustrated by Boichi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, science fiction

Themes: civilization, discovery, idealism, post-apocalyptic, technology

Plot Summary: Taiju is about to confess to the girl he loves when a mysterious force hits the Earth and turns every human into stone. Taiju and his friend Senku wake up thousands of years later and begin to rebuild society.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: July 5, 2019 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Season 2: January 14, 2021 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Special: July 10, 2022 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 3 (1st half): April 6, 2023 (Thursday)

Season 3 (2nd half): October 12, 2023 (Thursday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 24 episodes
Season 2: 11 episodes
Special: 54 minutes
Season 3: 22 episodes

Total: 57 episodes
----------------------------------

(Clicking on the episode will take you to Tony K.'s post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

(Note: The arc names are fan-made, but will hopefully help break the series down for easier time management or binge-watching)

-Season 01

(Stone Forumula)
Episode 01:
Episode 02:

(Vs. Tsukasa)
Episode 03:
Episode 04:
Episode 05:

(Kingdom of Science)
Episode 06:
Episode 07:
Episode 08:
Episode 09:

Episode 10:
Episode 11:
Episode 12:
Episode 13:

(Village Games)
Episode 14:
Episode 15:

(Village Origins)
Episode 16:
Episode 17:

(Vs. Hyouga)
Episode 18:
Episode 19:

(Communications)
Episode 20:
Episode 21:
Episode 22:
Episode 23:
Episode 24:

-Season 02

(Communications)
Episode 25:
Episode 26:
Episode 27:
Episode 28:

Episode 29:
Episode 30:
Episode 31:
Episode 32:

Episode 33:
Episode 34:
Episode 35:

-(Special) Ryuusui

Episode 35.5:

-Season 03

(Age of Exploration)
Episode 36:
Episode 37:
Episode 38:
Episode 39:
Episode 40:

(Treasure Island)
Episode 41:
Episode 42:
Episode 43:

Episode 44:
Episode 45:
Episode 46:

Episode 47:
Episode 48:
Episode 49:
Episode 50:

Episode 51:
Episode 52:
Episode 53:
Episode 54:

(New America City Arc)
Episode 55:
Episode 56:
Episode 57:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This looks great so far. The setting looks so natural with the amount of content. The stone turning scene is so eerie.

Along with the main characters, we meet Senku (that shirt...I see what they did there) and he's quite an fascinating young man with his curious mind + personality. It pretty much sets up for rest of the season with the invention type of gags from the episode.

Taiju is also pretty funny to watch. I also find the music choice kinda clever for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Not that it is a huge interest, I do actually occasionally look up about how things have progressed to current society, which maybe sounds broad but it is things like the nature of modern food (fruits and vegetables). I am a general fan of playing games where you can start at dirt and get functioning sophistication such as Minecraft and Skyrim on survival, and I did a stint in learning about economics of a medieval fantasy setting, where I got a good idea of many complicated jobs that are needed for even a limited society. It might usually be a loser game to try and point out the scientific inaccuracy or misunderstandings in anime, a shounen at that, but this one is acting like it is big into science, so I think that it is asking to be questioned.

First, food. You would be very surprised to learn about how much modern food is incredibly recent in its current form, where it was surprisingly alien in its natural form and changed due to things like human selection. Did you know most banana plants are technically the same plant, not made through seeds but by having to cut a part off the plant to grow another version? While I am no expert on it, I am pretty sure that you may see huge changes in plants over 3,700, that you may have a tough time telling if something is edible. To say nothing that you may still end up sick. You don't need grapes for wine to make alcohol, you can ferment any fruit, and does take weeks. There are historically three types of methods/hobs to make alcohol; brewers, vinters and distillers, so I guess they did Vinter work before distilling, which my research seemed to point that distilling can be incredibly dangerous without the right tools. Getting material that could take that heat alone would be pretty difficult. Are they were leather or pelts as clothes, because that wouldn't be simple either?

Also, I want to question if their stone is harder than normal stone or something, whether it definitely would have corroded in that time like some were broken into bits, or that most of them would have ended buried. Scientist was even inside a building, so how in the world did he end up outside in a clearing? Some of the corroding thing seems especially relevant with the idea of salt water, which apparently was close enough that by himself and just surviving he managed to get from where he was to salt water. Again, all of this questioning a show's setting too much, but it is begging it when acting as if its main character is so smart because of science.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
Well, ethanol has a lower boiling point that water, so you don't even need your mash to boil. You don't want high temps for ethanol distillation, or you won't separate the ethanol from water and other volatiles - it'll all just go up at once. Since they're not (or shouldn't be) drinking it, it might be ok if it has methanol in it, but if not, then they somehow need to get an idea of just what temperature they're at, so that they can boil off the methanol first, then raise the temp a little to get the ethanol.

Since they don't have a sealed system, it's not likely to build up enough pressure to explode, although their first batch kinda did - not from the pressure per se, but apparently from the heat. So it wasn't that bad of a representation of the process (though I still am not sure why the distillate was pink).

Ep 2
I kinda liked Tsukasa (either that was the world's fastest tanning job or eww), but every time he said something, I was waiting for the "but..." All in all, I think I'm on his side, though his perfect world will turn to ash the moment they get weaponry. On the other hand, reviving 8 billion people (well, maybe 5-6 billion due to those lost over the centuries) doesn't seem very practical either, and everything would go to hell just that much sooner.

There are a lot of uses for calcium carbonate. I'm guessing Senku's 4th one is smelting iron ore, but he can't avoid that forever, no matter how little he trusts Tsukasa.

Gods, I hope Taiju stops shouting once they revive his gf. I like his meatheadedness, but the yelling is wearing thin already.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
Is it bad that I agree more with Tsukasa so far? I mean if you're gonna restart society, why would you bring back the same people who wrecked it in the first place? Being super smart, You'd think Senku would know that's the definition of insanity.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
Except, you know, he wants to kill all adults, and I happen to be an adult. Some crappy kid that wants to blame things on adults, when he is really be hypocritical like he won't walk on others in the same way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
There are other options besides bringing back everyone they can vs bringing back only under 18 or whatever age he has in mind. Like just revive younger folks a few at a time to do the heavy lifting and maintain a relatively slow growth of the population? Search out older people who were smart and not greedy asshats to revive if they're still alive? Go find the doctors and ecologists and agronomists and chemists and biologists first.

I dunno, I've gotten so cynical that I've lost all hope for humanity anyway, so I'm mostly in the camp of don't revive anyone and leave the planet in peace. It doesn't need us and won't miss us at all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

For someone supposedly really smart, Senku is kind of really dumb. He really has no idea how to combat the guy's morals? How about history says that fighting will probably worse in the horrible stone age than bringing back modern technology, regardless of what Tsukasa's intentions are? You don't just say that a society ruled by only the youth will keep it pure, his own actions are already proof of the holes in his theory. What age group is cutting off what counts as adult? Does he understand the information he is losing such as modern medicine, which will kill so many? Does he understand things like child and birth mortality? A bunch of kids are not going to know everything, that is stupid. What about parents, why has no one mentioned them? Does Tsukasa even belief that most of the youth he revives will not see him as a monster?

Why is Tsubasa even super knowledgeable if he has brute strength? And if he really is smart, he should be enough to understand the flaws. And really someone should be smart enough to see that his logic is faulty. The setting they started in, a school, would not have been needed if Tsubasa's logic was worth considering.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:06 am Reply with quote
I don't think he really grasps what "science" is, plus he's wildly underestimating human curiosity. People are gonna invent stuff whether he likes it or not. He's already using the fruits of science with the spear he knapped. Humans weren't born knowing how to knap flint, it took trial and error after observation. Likewise the skins he's wearing (assuming he actually did tan them at some point). Those are courtesy of science, if on a less formal basis than actual scientists.

Anyway, Senku clearly spoiler[protected himself somehow when he cracked his own neck (not sure how that would work, but we'll find out) before emphasizing he wanted Tsukasa to be very careful to do it in one blow so he wouldn't suffer.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17

Okay, in trying to explain its primitive human society, this series has lost all credibility.

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure that there is not enough genetic diversity in 6 people to ensure a healthy human population after several generations. And this does not even get into how we are meant to believe this astronauts set themselves back to the stone age, rather than maybe decide to get off the island, and actually build a more sustainable civilization. I can't imagine the six of them, being astronauts, could not figure out how to make a raft of some sort that could take them to a mainland, get to a city, and if they themselves are not experts in certain subjects, they would have so much access to different information from books, to even if they can get some computer networks up again.

There would not need to be any need to hide information in stories, get some technology to make paper or whatever, and teach following generations actual truths. Actually start working on something with understanding the petrified people. The big problem I have with Senku being a genius in everything, is that it is just a big gap that anyone else can do things. Could his dad not teach the second generation to be scientifically minded and actually rebuild society? How incompetent are we meant to believe the astronauts are that they could not do anything other than become cavemen? It is just so stupid, like an attempt to just tie the setting already created, rather than an evolution of a society built by actual astronauts. Also that apparently Senku is not blood related to his father, despite the clear similarity, like they thought it would be weird if Senku was related to the girls, even though the entire population is built on a ridiculous amount of incest.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (Season Finale)

Well that is the end of the season, a message from the past, before a big battle, and a confirmation of a second season. I am sure that many of the people really into the show are really happy for a continuation. Me though, I am still not a really big fan. even if there are well researched and smart things, I find it and the main character as being kind of arrogant and annoying, kind of like a Gary Stu. Really characters in general could feel jarring and hard for me to enjoy, humour pretty much never worked for me. I cringe whenever he did his 10 billion percent thing, or had things explained via a robot voice version.

I think that the series itself bases its conflict with its villain on shaky ground. Are we really meant to believe that this guy was bullied once by an older man and decided that all adults should just die? It kind of feels based on an appeal to youth to say something about don't you just find adults annoying sometimes, like some serious character could really believe that. That an anti-science belief of someone with reasonable intelligence could make any sense at all in the better side of human nature.

And its attempt at full science explanation just opens itself up all sorts of nitpicking in areas where it just comes across as unbelievable. Like in just this episode they mentioned that all the astronauts were pretty much scientists, and yet were reverted to being pretty much cavemen at, while Senku has only gone upwards. How could a civilization started by astronauts that still existed with modern cities (minus the people) get reduced so low, while some Japanese Teenager knows everything? I find it ridiculous that they apparently decided to pass down science stuff in stories, and not maybe just teach it directly. How were they still just hunter gatherers?

Anyway, I am done, I am done with this season, and although I might pick it up when a new season comes, I can wash myself of it for now. I give a rating of So-so (5/10), sure not bad, but I am certainly not a fan of the hype that built up around it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
^ I agree that a lot of what you've said is true, but I've also been paying attention to how science and expertise and education have been constantly whittled away at in the US over the last 20-30 years until we've reached the point of anti-vaxxers not being laughed out of the room, legislators encoding reproductive nonsense into law (like that you can re-implant ectopic pregnancies), and the rise of moon-landing denialists and flat-earthers and woo-merchants like Goop raking in the bucks. So I don't find it hard to imagine "that an anti-science belief of someone with reasonable intelligence could make any sense at all in the better side of human nature." I don't have to imagine it, having seen it happening with my own eyes in real time.

Also, you may or may not be aware, back in the early 80s the DOE and Bechtel started working on the problem of how to warn far future generations about radioactive waste sites, since languages not retranslated every few hundred years can become indecipherable and recording media won't last over the lifespan of the hazard. Among other things, they came up with the idea of an "atomic priesthood" that would pass along the information literally religiously, as well as developing nuclear semiotics as a backup. It sounds silly, but the problem of passing down information over millennia is not, and the 100 Tales is a solution along the same line of thinking as what the DOE group arrived at.

Oral histories have also proven their value in a variety of cultures, notably Native Americans and Aboriginals, who insisted they had been on their lands for far longer than archaeologists would credit, and were eventually proved right.

So while Dr. Stone does have some cringe-worthy lapses (I totally agree with their staying on the island being unrealistic), I don't think those two points are necessarily among them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote
Season 2/Episode 1

So nice to see this show back. I have to admit that making "space food" would not have been my first idea for something to defeat the Tsukasa Empire but, of course, Gen has also come up with his psychological warfare gambit. The Kingdom of Science has imposed a formidable limitation on itself with respect to not killing anybody, something that I don't think the Tsukasa Empire is going to be burdened with. Man, so many great sequels series this Winter of 2021...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
They went through all the trouble of freeze drying food, only to prepare it again. I would assume the fresh stuff is better.

I don't think along the same ways that our heroes would committing a grave sin in imitating someone who died so long ago, the other side are literally killing a whole bunch of innocent people, or at least supporting someone who is. I would think a bit of deception to convince people why they would not want to just kill a whole bunch of adults would be worth it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25: Stone Wars Beginning (S2, Ep. 01)

I really like this show for the science aspect and think it puts discovery and technology into greater perspective. I'm particularly interested in if/when they try to introduce logic and reasoning as part of KoS's (Kingdom of Science) tactics.

Although, if our own history is any kind of indicator, logic and reasoning weren't always kindly met. But then depending on the survivors that are part of TE (Tsukasa Empire), I guess it could go either way.

I'm actually curious as to what kind of reasoning Tsukasa used to lead his side, or if it really is just brute force and "adults suck," 'cause that would be extremely short-sighted and naive. Not every person is the same. Hell, there might even be kids he woke up who are total freaking bullies and no better than a "corrupt adult." Would he have just killed them, beat them into submission, or actually try reasoning with them?

I rated the first season 8 / Very Good. The concept is cool, and like I said, I really like the science stuff. The show is also pretty zany at times, and the characters are fun. But there's so much world-building to add on top of the science, and then there's so many characters, too. I'm just hoping it does a good job balancing all that.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4