• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Witch Hunter Robin coming to Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyenGirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:54 pm Reply with quote
This is great! I can't wait until WHR gones on CN. I was hoping they'd put something....else on.
I really don't think CN will have problems with it, I just hope they put it on Adult Swim so it doesn't get edited to death. They surprised me with their Blue Gender edits, and yet FLCL went without hardly any edits, and what they did edit was comepletely random.
WHR is a great series, I hope it gets taken in as such.
Hellomojo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Legato 2057 wrote:
I doubt that Cartoon Network is stupid enought to put this on Toonami.

They put Kenshin on Toonami.
And Inuyasha on Adult Swim. (frankly, I don't mind IY on AS, its just the screaming fans it brings)

THANK YOU! I like Inuyasha alot but when theres a gazillion fangirls running on people back like" omg omg omg when more inuyasha omg seshomaroooooo!" I really wish it was never created. Even if I lose the enjoyment of a really enjoyable, lol killing it right?, show I gain the fact opf much less mind numbing agony and thoughts of suicide...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Hellomojo wrote:
Swordfish_II wrote:
Legato 2057 wrote:
I doubt that Cartoon Network is stupid enought to put this on Toonami.

They put Kenshin on Toonami.
And Inuyasha on Adult Swim. (frankly, I don't mind IY on AS, its just the screaming fans it brings)

THANK YOU! I like Inuyasha alot but when theres a gazillion fangirls running on people back like" omg omg omg when more inuyasha omg seshomaroooooo!" I really wish it was never created. Even if I lose the enjoyment of a really enjoyable, lol killing it right?, show I gain the fact opf much less mind numbing agony and thoughts of suicide...

Maybe you shouldn't let other people get to you so much. Smile
dmr456

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:56 am Reply with quote
This is the price one pays when bringing an Anime series to the mainstream light (not that there's anything wrong with that.) Anyway, like the previous member stated, don't let others get to you. Let those fangirls be amused for the time being... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by dmr456 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:53 am Reply with quote
I wonder what time will Adult Swim put Witch Hunter Robin 12:30 seems suitable.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:33 am Reply with quote
Be afraid. Be very afraid. It's hard to tell when, where, or in what edited state, CN will put a programme. Past examples have shown little common sense. Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki, and recently Blue Gender come to mind here. Common sense should dictate that WHR is uncut on Adult Swim, but take nothing for granted. Rolling Eyes
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:26 am Reply with quote
I really can't see WHR on anything else other then Adult Swim. It's not a kid show, and too slow paced to get a kid's attention. The action doesn't usually come till the end of the show. Along with that it's a dark, serious show, which normal, non-hyperactive comical characters. Kids on toonami will pay as much attention to it as they do to something like Law and Order.

As to the edits, WHR doesn't really have anything that can't be shown on AS.
wizard55

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:29 am Reply with quote
i really hope that they can somehow keep the opening in and just take the ending out or keep them both!!! i love the opening and would not like it at all if they took it off...

why do they show some openings and not others??? they showed cowboy beebop's, lupin the 3rd's, the big o's and any more??? why do they do it??
GoldenBeck0!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:20 am Reply with quote
Tank! and Lupin III's opening each have no Japanese in them. (That's my theory. Unfortunately, it doesn't include why the Big O! got it's opening. Unless they were hoping that most people would like it on it's Flash Gordon appeal). Just like they used to show Inuysha's opening and Gundam 0083's. I haven't heard the OP for Robyn yet, but unless the majority of the words or the chorus are in English, then don't expect to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
okendri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:39 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Be afraid. Be very afraid. It's hard to tell when, where, or in what edited state, CN will put a programme. Past examples have shown little common sense. Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki, and recently Blue Gender come to mind here. Common sense should dictate that WHR is uncut on Adult Swim, but take nothing for granted. Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes
Tenchi and Ryo-Ohki were aired before Adult Swim was even on and Blue Gender was edited by Funimation.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Just the color scheme alone would seem to make Toonami an impossible destination for WHR.

Plus, half the characters in it are what parents are trying to prevent their young teens from becoming, let's not go giving them more ideas about the uses for black trenchcoats, vintage dresses and new uses for messy hair ribbons.

I almost want to say that WHR is too mature for Adult Swim, but that's just silly. Yes there are guns, and some drippy glowing green stuff, minor occult "powers" and plenty of symbolism, but nothing worse than you'd see weeknights on ABC 6, or the X-files, for that matter. WHR is probably one of the more non-violent (in an over-the-top, flashy action way) ADULT anime that will ever be on TV.

The big chance CN is taking is the dub, from what I've heard so far, it's no comparison to the original cast (so what else is knew) which, IMO, was what made this otherwise very subdued and quiet anime so emotionally-intense.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: This anime takes a long time to get rolling, so if you are bored or don't like the first six to nine episodes, just hang in there, it will all make sense, eventually and you'll discover it was worth the wait.
ashram12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I always thought WHR would be a good contender for broadcast. I mean it's about witches, and "occult" tv shows like X-files, and Buffy the vampire slayer do pretty well. I'm sure goths will find it to their taste :D
The only drawback of the serie is how slow-paced it is. And Amon has only one emotion 8O
I think Cartoon Network has no choice but to show this on Adult Swim. The colors of the show are too neuter to appeal to younger crowds, and they may not have the attention span to get into the story.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote
GoldenBeck0! wrote:
Just like they used to show Inuysha's opening and Gundam 0083's.

Well, with Gundam 0083, they never showed the second intro or ending, they just kept showing the first one for the entire run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kidotai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:46 pm Reply with quote
GoldenBeck0! wrote:
Tank! and Lupin III's opening each have no Japanese in them. (That's my theory. Unfortunately, it doesn't include why the Big O! got it's opening. Unless they were hoping that most people would like it on it's Flash Gordon appeal).

Both did have vocals, abit minor. The begining of Tank! and "Lupin Lupin the Third"/"Lupin the Third!!" repeated thru the Lupin song.

Quote:
Just like they used to show Inuysha's opening and Gundam 0083's. I haven't heard the OP for Robyn yet, but unless the majority of the words or the chorus are in English, then don't expect to see it

Gundam 0083 op (The Winner) had Japanese Lyrics in the CN showing. Unless your thinking of Back to Paradise, which was used as the first minute or so of the song was used as background music in the previews of the next episode.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:49 pm Reply with quote
"Back to Paradise" is also used as background music during the training mission in the first episode, but yeah, it's never been used as the show's opening. The first ending ("MAGIC," spoiler[also used in some Kou Uraki/Kelly Layzner mobile armour-building montage]) IS in English, however, but you don't hear the vocals because they pulled the same thing they've done with every Gundam series shown on Cartoon Network; they just ran a quick 20-second closer with lightspeed-fast credits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5