• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio Ironcat ongoing coverage

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:01 am Reply with quote
Go for it. If you've got enough extra info to warrant an update, do it. Studio Ironcat is going to be silent for quite a while now - waiting for an official statement from them could take months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:25 am Reply with quote
starfyre wrote:
I may be a first time poster on here, but I am a bit more active on AOD's forum. And even there, I'm very silent, only speaking when I feel the need to say something. My biasness comes from the my passion against corporate disception. This comes based off of my former employer, Enron.

I understand that bias, I share it, haveing worked for simularly wonderful companies and indivduals. My inclination is that Ironcat is run by liars and cheats.
I also have a feeling that these were small time people who did not know how to run a business, made foolish decsions because they did not have the ready cash and were unwilling to come clean and (Unlike Enron, who started off amoral liars and cheats) take responsablity for thier actions. I have a bit of sympathy for them there.
I think we should keep something of an open mind and reserve judgement until everything is known.

Tempest,

I respect and admire that you are trying to do the right thing. I want to compare this situation to the war in Iraq. Here we have one party (the Bush adminstration) which, instead of admiting they made mistakes is blaming another party, the press, for not reporting the "good news". The fact is the press sees a bad situation, attempts to confirm the bad situation (by going to press conferances, asking questions etc) where they are stonewalled faced with excuses, at which point they are accused of being biased.
Ironcat, has had a chance to explain thier bad situation. They did not. I think you should report the bad situation.
Now, my very hard question for you. To be honest, you might find it offensive. That is not my intent. Understand that nothing on ANN prior to this situation would justify this question. Understand that I ask it very reluctantly.
Could it be, consiously or unconsiously, you fear that if you are the ones to break the "bad news" about Ironcat, you might not be given the access in the future by more important companies like ADV, Bandai, Media Blasters, especially if they have "bad news" of some sort or another?

If so, fair enough, it is not as if this is a life or death situation. It is a point though, where you decide where your loyalties lie.

All the Best,

Nani?
Twage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I understand your hesitation, but you can't be expected to wait for them. When a politician keeps saying "no comment" on a story about corruption that doesn't (and shouldn't) keep newspapers from running it. Same applies here. Whether they're on advice from counsel, trying to make it blow over, or just sticking their fingers in the ears and shouting "LA LA LA!" without any particular plan frankly doesn't really matter from your perspective. You've made best effort to balance the report. I think you should run it while it's still timely. Either way, good luck.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:21 am Reply with quote
Timeliness is important, but so is thorough reporting. If the new story has some info that would put what's already been said and printed in better context, by all means run with it. If it's really nothing more than an edited version of the interview, I'm sure we can wait until Ironcat decides to contribute their side o' things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SamGoody0491

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Zaknafein wrote:

Ironcat "fiction":
Two former IC Employees stole office computers and software

The truth of the matter is:
Computers and software belonged to those employees and their family. At no time did IC ever purchase or pay to lease computers.

IC was pirating software off the originals and not paying for them.

It was also said to visitor that former IC employee's took scripts and never provided them. They were all left on harddrives, but Ironcat, rather than pay for legal copies of the software used to create the files originally, continues to harass the employees to completely reformat the files. Which definitely is NOT their responsability anymore.

All I gotta say is WTH.
First of all, has nothing to do with showing the article.
Second of all, WTH.

Zaknafein wrote:

However they'll continue to say 'slanderous' things behind closed doors 'unoffically'. I don't see how protection could possibly be in Ironcat view of anything.

I doubt this, but anyway,
1- maybe they dont want to say anything because, why say anything when you're going to charge people with slander, why have the slight possibility with being charged yourself.
2- maybe they were right. They have no problems, or beef with any of the past employees, and they want to keep the high road.
3- or maybe, hey, if you give them a long enough rope.....

I say, go ahead and post, as long as its, in the spirit of an article.

Honestly, they want to clear their reputations they said. They had nothing to tarnish them in the first place, they quit from ironcat. No one was questioning their reputations, it wasnt until the interview came out that people started to find out, and question it. Looks like they did it themselves.

What company would want their private affairs, made to the public. What company would hire people who did just that, with the inclination it might again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2