• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
tsuritama (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
ph'nglui mglw'nafh <whatever> Enoshima wgah'nagl fhtagn

So Haru's kind spoiler[mostly comunicate via telapehty through water, but its effect is so strong that it becomes mind control. So does this basically come down to some over powerful alien with a song stuck in his head? Next I want to see it listen to the] Carmeldensen. Hmm I do wonder now if Haru's spoiler[actual form may be rather different to what he has been, actually now that I think about it he had a fish in episode 1 wich has not come back, and his sister was also absent from that episode.]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

spoiler[ Next I want to see it listen to the] Carmeldensen.

YES!!!!
Quote:
Hmm I do wonder now if Haru's spoiler[actual form may be rather different to what he has been, actually now that I think about it he had a fish in episode 1 wich has not come back, and his sister was also absent from that episode.]

I believe they are both spoiler[alien fish. There's a clip of them swimming around in episode 8 and sometimes Haru talks to the fish bowl when addressing his sister. They also have to keep moist (sister is always dumping water on herself) like a fish out of water. Also an appropriate pun for Haru's interactions with humans: fish out of water.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
spoiler[They also have to keep moist (sister is always dumping water on herself) like a fish out of water. Also an appropriate pun for Haru's interactions with humans: fish out of water.]

Oh my, that fits so well that it is probably completly unintentional, would be a good series tag for english.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:
spoiler[They also have to keep moist (sister is always dumping water on herself) like a fish out of water. Also an appropriate pun for Haru's interactions with humans: fish out of water.]

Oh my, that fits so well that it is probably completly unintentional, would be a good series tag for english.

Anime hyper Thanks! I like to think I come up with good ideas from time to time. (More like rarely...) Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
I loved the last two episodes, especially this week's, which tugged at my heartstrings by reaffirming friendships, tickled my funnybone with Akira and the Enoshima casts's DUCK-defying actions, and left me absolutely incredulous when spoiler[ JFX took over a DUCK agent, who then accidently bombed the Hemingway fishing gear store, with the captain possibly still inside!] I really hope that last thing is a fake-out.

OTOH, I'm glad spoiler[ Koko's not dead, just taken by JFX. Last episode had me worried.]

Unlike Bamboo, I love the squeaky Rubber Ducky suits and the wacky sci fi plot that's finally coming to a head. Bring it on, fish aliens! (anyone else interested in Haru's true form? I hope we get to see it before the show's over!)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 10
spoiler[Haru is indeed a fish, in some ways I would think that a fish would not be too friendly with fishermen,] well except maybe Rex Hunt (Australian inside joke). Wink

For some reason it got me emotionally when spoiler[the sister gave the bracelet meant for the mother onto Natsuki,] a good use of the last couple episodes.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm loving the Rubber Ducky suits too. I never saw them as "bunny' outfits. I love how the entire cast pulled together in this episode. Normally, I'm like "ok, now everyone brings their unique skill sets to the table for this one last part of the show" and it's just boring. With the way Tsuritama is paced and the way they develop and introduce characters, the show still feels grounded and real even though it's super bright and obviously sci-fi.

I, too, am very uneasy about spoiler[the destruction of the Hemmingway with the Captain still possibly inside]. I totally gasped out loud when that happened. I'm relieved that spoiler[KoKo is alright and that the grandmother didn't die (yet) anyways as I thought that she would.]

Unlike the review on The Stream, it really didn't surprise me that there's so much alien plot. I mean, the show did start off with the legend of the "dragon" and then Haru's admission of being an alien. Yuki's voice over even stated "I never thought we would end up saving the world that summer" or something like that. So, I'm not sure why this huge alien plot is even a surprise. I just like how they've gradually immersed us into it without making everything too sci-fi or losing the feel of the show.

Love Akira and Tapioca in the latest episode! Too cute! Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Oh yes Akira talking to the Tapioca was good, didn't like that duck earlier, but liked him here.

And are people really shocked about sudden sci-fi, wasn't it pretty clear that something was going escelate into a world shatering event, and Haru's intro to people is "I am an alien". What did they think was going to be like Under the Bridge?
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The more I hear about Arakawa Under the Bridge, the more I wished I had watched it. It sounds so quirky and funny!

I was looking forward to the sci fi stuff from the first episode, but I really did enjoy the character development. Now, though, we finally get to see Akira as more than the mysterious/slightly creepy guy with the duck." He's defying orders! Stealing vans! spoiler[ using COMBAT YOGA!!] Protecting his new found friends from the organization he's a part of! In short, he's awesome! Cool

As for Tapioca, I was going to make a crack about how you know you're losing it when you think your pet duck is talking back to you, but then I remembered one of my favorite scenes from the A:TLA finale:

Aang: "I know you can't really understand me, but pretending that you do helps me feel better."

Momo (Aang's pet lemur): *chittering*

Aang *annoyed* : "I'm going to pretend that I didn't just pretend that you just said that!"

LOL! Using your pets as therapy. I so can relate! Laughing
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh gosh, I hadn't fully realized how attached I was to the main characters until this episode. All of the characters were charming, sure, but I was more interested in the well-being of the side characters whenever they were in danger than when the main characters were in danger. But then this episode happened. Akira's spoiler[independent infiltration and realization of having friends by his conversation with Tapioca], Natsuki's spoiler[hilarious distraction routine], Haru's spoiler[(really well animated) outrage at Yuki's return], and Yuki's spoiler[instant slap and lecture] were the moments that made them "click" for me. Maybe it's because the side characters are already developed in a sense, which would explain why I'm now just loving the main characters as they have reached what I would assume to be their acme in character.

As for the very last part of this episode, spoiler[NO!!!! AYUMI! I really hope he ran out of the shop far enough to not be killed by the missile strike! Please make all of those scenes where he ran out and shouted to the sky whenever Misaki complimented him relevant! (And not in the "Flashback time: Oh look, he actually ran straight towards the missile" type of relevant that makes everything even more of a downer but in the "Flashback time: Oh look he got out of there alive" type of relevant that makes me breath a sigh of relief.)]

Also, that ending theme is even more jarring now and kind of makes me want to cry.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Why does this show continue to amaze me? You'd think that it would, at some point, plateau or something. (I keep rewatching episodes...) Embarassed
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11: What a captivating episode. So much drama! It's a good thing spoiler[we're getting one more episode, as the end of episode 11 would be a horribly abrupt, depressing ending for the show. I'm actually glad I was clueless about how many episodes there would be]. This is the hidden gem of the season, finally shining after the waves of time brushed away the bright sand!
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
i've liked the show from the start and loved it since episode 3. and honestly, the way it gradually steps up EVERYTHING without one really noticing it like in many other shows is just superb.
it's paced perfectly, built up perfectly for the grand finale...along with fate/zero(haven't seen the last two episodes yet) this easily beats out the rest of the season. such good stuff. this show just consists of so many elements that made and still made me love anime.

and even though the ending hasn't been shown yet i just know that i will enjoy the ride. can't wait to rewatch this in marathon mode!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
At the risk of weakening my review next week, I think that I will add that I had basically no desire to watch this at first. The character designs were not attractive to me, reminding me of Arkawa under the Bridge, which I found unsatisfying, and the first episode or two confirmed that it was not too different from it. I did not like the opening song, the animation annoyed me, it felt like some sort of BL show, the water thing with Yuki and Haru's weirdness being accepted so easily off putting (although I could sympathies). Oh, and I felt no desire to watch a fishing anime. It fitted the necessary attribute to drop a show, boring me and feeling like a semi-chore to watch.

But somehow that changed, the dancing interested me, the OP started to feel somewhat catchy, even if some of the style I do not like. Haru started to grow onto me, Yuki started to feel less like a character meant to just feel sorry for, hey I moved around quite a bit when a kid, and had terrible social skills. The fishing thing actually started to feel interesting, made me want to doing a bit of fishing myself, have not done it in a few years. Actually I started enjoying, and somehow was able to bait me.

Found my attention really held in episode 11, I am actively awaiting for the conclusion.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
So is this series going to be 12 episodes, or will it stick to the noitamina multiples of 11? 22 episodes just seems extraordinarily long, there's no way they can be more climactic than they are now, so it must be ending next week, right? Please? I'm not sure I could stomach knowing this show is only half over, the premise and characters don't support it.

I feel like I'm of the different opinion from everyone else here, I like Yuki and most of the rest of the cast, but I highly dislike Haru, I dislike the faux Arab duck lunatics, and I was highly content with just being about bros fishing. So being, I don't care for all this alien/bermuda triangle stuff, I can't get into it and I honestly don't care what happens to Haru in the end. I have been thoroughly unable to attach any feeling to him. That's why I'm content with it ending soon, or at least switching gears after this current turmoil is settled. Given that Yuki's learned what he needs to about his hobby, it must be nearly over. He's grown, and there's nowhere left to go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5